Saturday, April 14, 2007

Fava Beans

The sleeper hit of spring, the seriously underrated: Fava bean. It takes some doing, but once you shell these mama's, you're rewarded with a verdant crisp bean, similar to edemame, with a slightly meaty undertone. Meaty, yes - and so yum. I got a new Chez Panisse cookbook Chez Panisse Cooking which happened to have a simple fava recipe in it - Sauteed Fava's with Garlic and Rosemary and so I made it with the organic fava's straight from the CSA. I loved it - the mister thought the rosemary was overpowering and a little bitter. Next time, I'll use a less intense herb, I think.

This is one big bean:




After shelling them they are a soft celandine color:



Parboiled and shelled again they turn a bright glossy green:



At this point, the beans are semi cooked - after about 15 minutes in the sautee pan, they're ready to eat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home